Friday, May 23, 2008

Derek says goodbye to his Portland Rehab Center

"We will be driving down to CA with Chris. I am hoping to catch a glimpse of the mythical Oregon “vortex”. But today was a lot of packing. We have many boxes and other stuff (junk). Later today, I’ll have personal training. I feel that I’m getting stronger and feel more coordination. But I don’t know, it might be my imagination. But looking back, I think PRA was very beneficial and allowed me to make improvements. I think I got tired after a while. That’s why it was good that I took short and small breaks from rehab. I thought it was really great that I got a chance to go to Hawaii. I saw friends and places we recognized that had special meaning to us. For example, we saw the place we got married, Haleiwa Joe’s, my battalion locale Kaneohe Bay. And Kunia, where I worked at prior to my injury. Before my injury, I was really excited and enthusiastic to work at the places and positions I worked. But, that’s all over now and I can no longer be the guy I was before. I think I’ve changed. I am not sure for good or for bad, but I’ve definitely changed." Derek


Derek loved this number plate we saw in HI, and thankfully his rehab center (Progressive Rehabilitation Associates) saw the funny side

After more than half a year Derek has said farewell to his rehabilitation program in Portland. He achieved so much, moving from being a full time patient to a part time volunteer. A particularly amusing scene was seeing Derek's flour foot-prints stamped into the carpet following his Christmas cookie baking. Thanks so much to all his therapists, you have all played a key part in Derek's continued recovery and you will never be forgotten.

Derek has worked really hard in all his therapies, ranging from Occupational, Speech, Physical and Vision.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Derek
So the journey wasn't the leisurely road trip you'd planned. More like a frenzied dash. Still you got there in the end. I'm sure this move will be good for you both in the long term and however you think you've changed
we all still think you're great!!!
Love Netta

blaH. said...

I love the pictures. Derek, you're great!