Derek and I had the honor of going to the Marine Birthday Ball in Sonoma. So for you non-marine folks, November 10th 1775 was the inception of what became the US Marine Corp. A Ball to commemorate this day occurs every year, in all parts of the globe, wherever Marine's reside.
After a slight, unintentional detour around the Sonoma countryside, our first port of call was the Benziger Winery in Glen Ellen. Bruno Benziger, the patriarch, was a Marine who served during the Second World War in Pacific. We were shown around the winery by one of Bruno's sons Bob. For a non-wine drinker it was absolutely fascinating. Though I reckon we all demonstrated our complete lack of sophistication in respect to our wine tastes- basically just give us grape juice with a little bit of alcohol.
We spent lunch at Bob's house, and got to meet his delightful family and see his beautiful home. Such generous people! Come evening, we got to dress up in our finery. Derek made a handsome figure in his Dress Blues, and did a great job speaking with many and varied Marine people (active and retired). It was a really enjoyable weekend.
We have also started to go to a Brain Injury Support Group twice a month. I think we have both reached a point where it feels more natural, and is now really helpful to meet with other survivors and care givers. It is particularly great for us to meet people who have been coping with Brain Injury for a longer period. Interestingly, from going to meetings like this, that I realise how fortunate Derek and I have been in terms of the treatment Derek has got. It was the smartest decision Derek ever made to join the Marine Corp., without the medical care and the VA- I dread to think where we would be now.
1 comment:
happy holidays to you! you look awesome all dressed up! -so glad you found out about and are going to the support group.
Post a Comment