We went to Breckenridge, CO early in December.I’ve never skiied before so I was pretty scared.Usually, people do what they used to do before the injury.But I’ve never skied before. So it was interesting.I thought it was very fun and I enjoyed my time despite myself.The temperature was cold so I had to layer up.I used an adaptive equipment known as the “outriggers”.It was similar to the crutches polio patience use.I was apprehensive of being more of a cripple than I already am, but I didn’t let that deter my enjoyment.I was really scared to go on the chair lift because I was terrified of falling off, they didn’t look secure enough. I was pleased I was able to ski down a mountain.
When we thawed out from our trip to co, we went back to the cold in sunny England.We spent a few days at the Jim house, where I reminisced.The whole trip I was able to remember my time previously in England.Before we got too settled, we headed off to stay in a thatched cottage in Dorset for the Christmas week.It was very quaint and I had visions of seventeenth century England.But Dorsett was cold.Really cold. We did a lot of activities like going to the tank museum and monkeyworld.Fascinating.Back in London, we went to the British museum.I saw a lot of valuable items plundered for monetary value like the Rosetta Stone. It was very impressive but different to what I expected as it was smaller and less eye popping.
We left London after a few weeks there.Our bodies needed a few days to recover.I had a really great time.It was nice to see Nicolas family.I get along well with everyone in her family and I had a good time reminiscing about all of the experiences I had before. Overall, I enjoyed the trips a lot; and after we got back it was back to another day of therapy, another day of work.
It was nice to see Eveleen when she came up, as she brought Clarity and Sarafina (my nieces).On January 15th I celebrated my birthday by going to the VA for a full day of therapy.While there at noon time, the therapists and nurses celebrated my birthday with a huge ice cream cake. In the evening Nicola and I went to the Fish Market to make use of Sally’s wonderful gift- I had lobster tail.
It was so great to have you and Nicola here with us for Christmas. The whole family loved seeing you and it was wonderful to spend so much time together, 8 days, not the usual few hours on Christmas day.I have my doubts about thatched cottages following the tick incident,but the scenery was pretty nice none the less. Lets all do it again sometime! Netta
We are still living in NorthernCA andDerek is also still part of a rehab program at the VA Palo Alto. Derek attends the VA program during the day and also has Hippo therapy twice a week.
Derek An OC boy by birth and ethos. Avid sports fan (pro and college Basketball and football), serious X box gamer, Anglophile (well he has to be), Mensa member, marathon runner (completed the DC run in 2005), USMC officer and most importantly a survivor!
Ironically, Derek served in Iraq and thankfully returned without a scratch. However, it was while running in HI (where he was stationed) that Derek suffered heart failure, which was so severe that it also led to an anoxic head injury. After a 58 day coma and the worst prognosis possible, he came back to us. Over the past two years since the injury of March 17th 2007, he has been fighting back and has made a remarkable recovery. This type of injury is cruel and can take several years before you are considered "recovered", but he has definitely made an amazing start.
It has never been fully diagnosed as to what caused Derek's heart failure, but it is suspected that he has a genetic condition called Long QT syndrome. This is an electrical rhythm problem, however prior to that fateful day Derek had been completely asymptomatic. We have been truely blessed that Derek is still with us.
Nicola Born and raised in North London (England) and has so far managed to retain her English accent, but fears she may start to sound like Madonna. Her sarcasm and ironic humor is probably quite safe though, even if her spelling isn't. Athletically challenged (though she did complete the Great Aloha Run with Derek), she enjoys eating good food (though vegetarian please), reading, knitting, and is an avid movie and TV watcher.
She was working for the Royal Bank of Scotland in the UK (and is wondering how safe her job would be in the current climate of a 20billion government bailout), but has been a full time carer for her husband since his injury. She is just started to work part time, which feels great to be busy and focused on things other than hospital treatments. But she is hoping that she and Derek will be able to start spreading their wings even further over the next few months/years. Life will never be what is was before, but life definitely doesn't stop.
Derek and Nicola They met while they were studying together at the London School of Economics (LSE). The early part of their relationship took place across the Atlantic (their carbon footprint could probably rival Brangelina), with Nicola making the sacrifice of traveling out to Hawaii whenever she could ("it was hard times, but we were happy"). Never conventional, they decided to take a twist on the usual relationship sequence of events, eloping in Hawaii (July 2006) but continuing to live 1000s of miles apart to build their careers. Since the injury they finally started to live together, and up to this point they haven't tried to kill one another. So far so good!
2 comments:
It was so great to have you and Nicola here with us for Christmas. The whole family loved seeing you and it was wonderful to spend so much time together, 8 days, not the usual few hours on Christmas day.I have my doubts about thatched cottages following the tick incident,but the scenery was pretty nice none the less. Lets all do it again sometime!
Netta
wonderful reading and catching up with you guys! i loved it!
Post a Comment